Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Biscuits and Gravy


When I was little, my dad would sometimes make us biscuits and gravy--really good biscuits and gravy! Fast forward a few decades, and I had never made biscuits & gravy. Until now. Why did I wait so long? I dunno.

After my boys went on their pioneer trek last summer, they kept talking about the biscuits and gravy they had for breakfast one morning, and asking me to PLEASE make it. So 6 months later, I finally got around to it.

I adapted the following recipe from the Food Nanny. Very tasty!

Biscuits & Gravy
adapted from Food Nanny

3 cans of Pillsbury Homestyle biscuits, baked and still warm
16 oz. Jimmy Dean sage sausage
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet, crumble and brown the sausage til fully cooked. Remove the cooked sausage to a bowl and keep warm. Melt the butter in the skillet. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly til smooth and slightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, water, bouillon cubes, salt and pepper. Continue cooking and stirring until the gravy thickens. Stir in the sausage and heat through. Break the biscuits in half and top with gravy.

Comments