Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Bedtime stories

Now, doesn't this look like a very unique reading spot? I don't know how or why Libby thought to lie there to read. I just know I that's how I found her!

A year or two ago, I started reading to Mia and Libby every night after they get in bed. We're not talking picture books, we're talking chapter books, so that every night Mia and Libby can't wait for the next night to find out what happens. Sometimes they beg me to read the next chapter right then. They know that if they get into bed late, we might not have time to read all of one chapter, so it's also an incentive to get to bed on time. We have read quite a number of books, and we've enjoyed them all. Sometimes I think I enjoy them even more than the girls do!

We have read:

*Matilda by Roald Dahl
*Charlie and the Chocolate Factory also by Roald Dahl
*The entire Little House on the Prairie series, including Farmer Boy, by Laura Ingalls Wilder (which  I received as a little girl from my Grandma H. and still own & love to read!)
*The Penderwicks & The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall
*A Little Princess & The Secret Garden, both by Frances Hodgson Burnett
*The Ivy + Bean series by Annie Barrows
*Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

I would say that Mia's favorites have been A Little Princess and The Secret Garden. Libby loved The Penderwicks, especially the character of Batty. (Because Batty's real name is Elizabeth--which is also Libby's real name, only spelled with an s instead of a z). Both girls love Ivy + Bean and the Little House books...maybe as much as I do!

What are your favorite chapter books for kids? Or girls especially? Please leave a comment and share. I love book suggestions!

Comments