Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Recipe: Quick Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps


I found this recipe over at 71toes, and it's a winner. I LOVED it. In the interest of full disclosure, not all the kids liked it, although 3 out of the 5 living here did, so it's at least a majority. Most days, that's as good as I can expect.

Anyway, it's an easy, quick recipe and really delicious. I made a few adjustments as follows: the broccoli slaw I bought was actually a bag of broccoli salad mix from Costco:
I used that as is, and chopped up some of the bigger heads of broccoli that were in it. I also used about half of the packet of cashews and dried cranberries as well as the entire packet of crumbled bacon, and it was delicious. I will do it this way every time I make this dish. If you don't like cashews, bacon or dried cranberries...just use a regular bag of broccoli slaw.

Quick Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
adapted from Picky Palate by way of 71toes

In a large skillet, heat 2 T. of olive oil. Throw in 1 cup of chopped onion and 1 pound of ground turkey. To the turkey add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Brown and crumble the turkey. Once the turkey is browned, add the broccoli slaw part of the Salad Kit (29 oz. bag). Also add 1/2 cup of bottled Teriyaki sauce, 1 tsp of Sesame Oil, and 1 can of water chestnuts, drained. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the broccoli and water chestnuts are cooked. 

Meanwhile, wash approximately 15 lettuce leaves. Original recipe calls for butter lettuce, but Costco had romaine so I used that.

Last, add the packet of crumbled bacon from the salad kit, and about half the packet of cashews & dried cranberries. Spoon into lettuce leaves to serve.
The broccoli salad kit includes a packet of sweet onion dressing, and I poured a little over my turkey/broccoli mixture. Yum!!

Comments