Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Slow Cooker (Spicier) Apple Butter

I love apple butter.

So cold or no cold (which is getting better by the way) I decided to make some Slow Cooker Apple Butter yesterday. And I could actually smell it too, so that's a good sign.

There are lots of versions of this out there. This is mine. I like more spice to it than other recipes I've seen. Easy and yummy, and your house will smell great while it cooks!  

Slow Cooker Apple Butter
For a 5 quart crockpot:
Peel, core and slice enough apples to fill the crock 3/4 full. For me, this was about 16 small-to-medium sized Golden Delicious apples.

Over the apples, sprinkle 2 T. of lemon juice, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 2 heaping T. cinnamon, 1 t. nutmeg, and 1/2 t. cloves. Pour in 1/2 cup of apple juice or cider. Mix to coat apples.

Put the lid on your slow cooker and cook all day on low, or 4-5 hours on high. Use a potato masher to mash up the apples. Enjoy it a little chunky or run it through your blender once it has cooled down.

Makes about 2-3 pints, and can be frozen for later use.

Comments