Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Sweet Corn and Black Bean Quinoa


Once upon a time, I tried to get my family to like quinoa.

It was a miserable failure.

Granted, I probably didn't rinse it well enough and it was kind of bitter.

Lately I've been seeing some really yummy-looking quinoa recipes around and I've wanted to try it again. Last week when I was at Costco, I noticed a new offering--Nature's Wild Grains organic quinoa in a four-pound bag. Upon closer inspection, I saw that this particular brand is already pre-rinsed! A boon as far as I'm concerned. I bought it.

Tonight I made this Sweet Corn and Black Bean Quinoa that I adapted from one over at Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I wanted less black beans and a little more quinoa, so I adapted accordingly. I also cut out the cayenne in Mel's recipe because I don't like it. This was pretty much a hit in comparison to the first failure. All my kids ate it, and Jared had thirds. This dish is very savory and has tons of flavor. I served it with some baked chicken tenders and pomegranate seeds.

Sweet Corn and Black Bean Quinoa
1/4 cup dry minced onion
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 c. water
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 cup uncooked, pre-rinsed quinoa
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can super-sweet white or yellow corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, according to taste
  
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; add olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook til fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add water, chicken bouillon, cumin and quinoa. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat so quinoa simmers. Cook until all water is absorbed, approximately 20 minutes. Stir in corn, black beans and cilantro; cover and let stand 3-4 minutes to warm the corn and beans. Serve.

Comments