Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Chocolate-Hazelnut Mug Cake


Hi!

I'll get to the point today. Sometimes you just need a little dessert instead of a whole pan. Somebody, somewhere, came up with the idea of a mug cake, and the rest of us can just wonder why we didn't think of it ourselves.

Today's recipe comes by way of Cooking Classy. When I saw her recipe yesterday, I HAD to make it right away because....because....I just had to. You know how it is, right? Right.

Her recipe called for some applesauce instead of 2 T. of oil, but I did not have applesauce. And I wasn't about to go to the store just for that. In my estimation, if you're gonna have a mug cake, have a mug cake. If that means using all butter, by all means, use butter. I did, and I'm not sorry.

Chocolate-Hazelnut Mug Cake
adapted from Cooking Classy

In a 16-ounce mug, melt 3 T. of butter in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Swirl the melted butter around in the mug to coat the sides.

Add:
3 T. Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread (or Nutella--I used the Kroger brand and it worked fine)
3 T. 2% milk
1 XL egg
1/2 t. vanilla
Whisk together with a small whisk or a fork, until smooth. 

Add: 
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 1/2 T. unsweetened cocoa
1/4 t. baking powder
dash of salt
Stir together until well combined.

Place in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes (for a 1,000 watt microwave). Let stand until it cools a little (if you can wait that long) and either turn the cake onto a plate or just dig in! Yummy with a little whipped cream on top. I shared with the rest of my family and everyone got 3-4 nice bites. In the words of the hubs, "That little dessert you made was yummy."

Enjoy!! 

Comments