Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Recipe Fail {a baking lesson in moisture vs. structure}

With all the recipes I post on my blog, I wouldn't want anyone to think I never mess up....au contraire. There are plenty of things I make that no one likes, or a few of us like, or they just aren't pretty. Case in point:

This is a Chocolate Chocolate Chip bundt cake I was making for after the first LDS General Women's Meeting this Saturday. I thought I should try it out early, and lemme tell you, it was a good idea. Because this cake definitely did not turn out. It tastes pretty good, but no one is going to want to eat a cake that looks like this!

Sometimes I mess up a recipe, and other times I think the recipe needs tweaking. In this case, the recipe definitely needs a little bit of help so that the cake can support its own weight. Here's what happened and how I plan to fix it.

First off, the cake needed five minutes extra to bake, and then while it cooled it started sinking into itself. When I tried to turn it out of the pan....well, you can see what happened then. This is one of those recipes that has 4 eggs, a lot of oil, pudding mix AND sour cream. The final result was almost soggy it was so moist, and no one wants soggy cake! So my amateurish baking intuition tells me that one, there is too much moisture in this cake and two, not enough structure (flour) to hold it up. The plan for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt cake #2 is to cut out one egg, cut the oil from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup, and add 1/4-1/2 cup of flour, and I think that'll do the trick. I may also cut the sour cream in half, from 8 ounces to 4. If these changes don't work, I'll be going back to the store for more  ingredients for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt cake #3! Wish me luck....

Comments