Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Homemade Tomato Soup


One of my favorite childhood memories is of my Dad coming home from work & making homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. He loved to cook (and still does!), even after a long day at the office, and this combination was one of us kids' favorites. As best I can remember, he used to combine a big can of tomato juice with an equal amount of half & half, then I'm sure he must have added a few spices, but I don't remember what. This recipe is a little different, but I still need half & half in my tomato soup all these years later.

Homemade Tomato Soup
serves 8

In a large pot, melt 2 T. butter with 1 T. olive oil over medium heat. 
Add 3 T. flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in 1/2 t. onion powder and 1/2 t. garlic salt. Whisk until fragrant.
Add, whisking to combine:
1 28-oz can peeled, crushed tomatoes
4 c. chicken broth
1 c. half & half
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. ground thyme

Stir often and bring mixture to a simmer. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring periodically. Serve with your choice of toppings such as parmesan cheese, additional pepper, chives, and/or croutons. Don't forget the grilled cheese for dipping! 

Comments