Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Seized wheel lug? Not as stupid as it sounds.

Yesterday I took our Suburban in to be inspected for the annual registration. It's been running well and I figured it would pass. Well, surprise, surprise! It did NOT pass. The reason? A seized wheel lug on the right front tire. When the guy told me that, I admit I rolled my eyes. I thought to myself, "And you can't just spray some WD-40 on it and UN-seize it?!" Stupid reason, I thought.

Well, after Jeff took a look at it, it wasn't so stupid anymore. It had been stripped, probably by the tire store when the tires were rotated. It had to be broken off. Then the tire, brake caliper, and brake rotor had to be removed. Then the broken-off lug had to be fished out. A new one had to be seated in there (and that took a good 10-15 minutes of muscle work). Then the rotor, caliper, and tire had to be put back on. Nope, it wasn't as stupid as it was annoying. Especially for Jeff. He and our boys did all the work. I'm so thankful to have a husband who can do it, and teaches our boys how to do it too!

If you ever hear the words, "You have a seized wheel lug," just be prepared.

Comments