Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater


Hi! Yep, that's me up there, with a death grip on my hubby's hand haha.

I mentioned in my last post outlining our Hawaiian cruise aboard Norwegian's Pride of America, that I had several firsts during that trip. First cruise, first trip to Hawaii, etc.

I also went snorkeling for the first time!

Note that I am not a big-time swimmer. My Dad made sure that I learned how to swim {thank you Dad!}, but it's never been my most favorite thing. Add the concept of being in the middle of the ocean, and I was WAY out of my comfort zone.

But as I also said in my cruise post, the older me has decided that trying new things should be an adventure. So I agreed to go snorkeling and we booked & paid for this excursion months in advance. I was a bit nervous about it, but really nothing like the younger me would have been--so that was a win right there. I was actually fine UNTIL.....

I put on my mask, sat on the edge at the back of the boat near Molokini Crater, and had to get off into the vastness of the ocean. Um, cue the panic attack! :)

I started to panic, and Jeff turned around to see if I was coming just at that moment. He motioned "are you okay?" and I vigorously shook my head "NO!" haha He grabbed my hand and helped me to the big floatie adjacent to the boat, and calmed me down. Very patiently, he told me to practice putting my head down and breathing with the mask on, and to look around under the surface. I spent a few minutes doing that. Finally he said, "Are you ready to go with me?"

My answer to that was, "Only if you hold my hand!"

And that's how it was when our friends got this pic with their underwater camera.

But, I DID IT!

And I will do it again if I get the chance. But how about Hanauma Bay instead of the open ocean? ;)

Comments