Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Something New: Ice Machine

I like to say that you learn something new every day. At least if you're paying attention you might. Yesterday, Jake had knee surgery and it was a good day to learn something new.

Waaay back (like 26 years ago?) when I had knee surgery the last time, this is how I had to ice my knee after surgery:

It's really old fashioned, but it still works. However, now they have something new-fangled and pretty darn cool.

Behold, The Ice Machine:


I had never seen such a thing until yesterday. The cooler part above holds ice and water. The little motor on the top continuously circulates the ice water through a tube and into and around Jake's knee. His knee is wrapped in a blue pad with little channels all through it for the cold water to flow in and out of.


Thus the knee is continually iced and swelling is reduced much easier and faster.

Like Jake's nurse said to me yesterday, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Comments