Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Got grays?

I do. This is another truth in blogging moment right here.
Ever wondered if any of those drugstore-available hair dyes work, and how well? I have. I usually get my color done at the salon (thank you, Hair Genius!) but if I color the whole thing, it gets annoying having to deal with regrowth in 4 weeks. It also adds up, even if you happen to be getting a family rate on your visits. :) So I have been toying with the idea of coloring at home. Not sure if I'll do it, but I like being armed with good information.

Anyway, I subscribe to Good Housekeeping magazine. (Love it). Awhile back, they had an article on at-home hair color and tested many different brands for gray coverage, shine, fade resistance, etc. I found it to be very helpful information and thought I'd share. Because you never know when you might have a hair emergency.

The best color for all shades?

None other than Clairol Natural Instincts, especially the red and brown shades. The blonde did not cover grays quite as well, so be aware of that.

The runner up?

L'Oreal ColorSpa Moisture Actif in Chestnut Reddish Brown. The brown and blonde colors had high gloss, but didn't cover grays as well.

Best color for brunettes?

Revlon Colorsilk in Dark Brown. Perfect scores on all GH tests!

Best color for redheads?

Also Colorsilk, in Burgundy.

Best color for blondes (like me)?

It was a tie for this one. Clairol Nice n' Easy in Natural Dark Neutral Blonde and Revlon Colorsilk in Ultra Light Natural Blonde, although testers said Colorsilk had a "strong chemical smell." If you have an aversion to chemical smells, watch that one.

To read the GH article, go here.

Got a color you've tried and liked? Please leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Christine! It's your cousin Jenny...back when I used to bravely dye my own hair (for play or for serious) my favorite was the Clairol Natural Instincts. It seemed gentler than the others I've used and the color turned out very natural-looking. Now I am lucky enough to be able to teach my friend's son some piano lessons in exchange for hair cuts and color. My friend gets her coloring supplies from Sally Beauty Supply.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!