Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Pinterest Success: Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole {a yummy side dish!}


I'm still on a new recipe kick lately. Chalk this one up to another Pinterest success.

It comes originally from Cinnamon, Spice & Everything Nice,  and is adapted a little by me. I served it with the grilled Pesto chicken found here and the whole meal was a huge hit. I made the casserole with white rice, although if I'd had brown rice upstairs I would've used that. (I tore my meniscus and didn't feel like going down and back up the stairs to get the brown rice, but next time. Next time!)

Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
4 T. butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
2 c. milk
1 T. spicy brown mustard
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese
2 c. cooked broccoli florets
3 c. cooked rice, either white or brown
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 8x11 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet, and add minced garlic. Cook about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in milk and mustard. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese and parmesan until they melt. Add rice and cooked broccoli and stir well. Pour mixture into casserole dish and top with 1/2 c. cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.

Comments

  1. This looks really yummy! Thinking about even making it tonight!! :)
    Beth
    www.structureinanunstructuredlife.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!