Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Chocolate Zucchini Cake {baked in the grill}

The other day I said I was going to try baking a cake in my grill. Here are the results!


I'm really happy with how this cake turned out! You really wouldn't know that I didn't bake it inside my oven. Here's how I did it:

1. I turned on all 4 burners in the grill and preheated it. It was about 500 degrees when I went out to put the cake in.
2. Right before putting the cake in, I turned off the two left-hand burners and turned the right-hand burners down to about medium high. I put the cake in, and checked after a few minutes to see that the temperature was down to about 350. It stayed about 350 for the rest of the baking time.
3. Twenty minutes in, I turned the bundt pan 180 degrees.
4. After twenty more minutes, I turned it again 180 degrees. I also checked it for doneness and it needed about 10 more minutes, so I rotated the cake another 90 degrees.
5. After about 50 total minutes of baking time, the cake was done. I cooled it on a rack for 10 minutes before turning onto a plate.

Here is what the cake looked like right out of the grill:


And after turning onto a plate:


What recipe did I use? This one from A Bountiful Kitchen.  This is a moist, chocolatey version of Chocolate Zucchini Cake. It's so good I think it's my new favorite. You'll notice that Si says you can bake it in a 9x13 or two pie plates. As I said, I used a bundt pan because I prefer them.

If you've got a grill with a temperature gauge, don't be afraid to try baking in it! I think I'll try bread next....

Comments