Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Apple Spice Muffins

Hi!

Yesterday I told you that I had about 1 1/2 cups of apple pie filling left after making Apple Pie Crescents. This is what I did with the leftover filling.

I took my basic Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe, minus the chocolate chips and sour cream, added some cinnamon, reduced the vanilla and folded in the apple pie filling. The filling had been refrigerated for several hours, so it had juiced up considerably since I had made the crescents. As always, my family were the judges and everyone liked the results.

Apple Spice Muffins

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups apple pie filling (or chopped apples tossed in flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together. Make a well in the center and stir in milk, oil, vanilla and egg until all the flour is incorporated. Fold in apple pie filling. Spoon into muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown, and the tops spring back when touched with your finger. Cool in pan 3-5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. 

Comments