Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Fall break: A beautiful world, sisterly love and Apple Pie

Apples from my tree and a leaf from my Silver Maple. #nofilter

Fall is the favorite season of so many of us. For good reason! We live in such a beautiful world.

I think one reason my kids love fall is because they get Fall Break.

This means that we have Nicole home from college for the weekend. This is such a cute shot of my oldest and my youngest, who was extremely excited to have her big sister come home. They camped out on the sofa like this, talking and laughing, for quite awhile. Love.

Fall is also birthday time! First for me (in September) and then Jeff yesterday. He prefers pie over cake, so part of my day yesterday was spent making apple pies, his fave.



I don't think I've posted my apple pie recipe before, so here you go!

Apple Pie
prepared pie crust for a 9-in double-crust pie
8 medium to large Golden Delicious apples
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. flour
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 t. salt
2 T. butter, in small peices

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
Peel, core and slice apples into a large bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning. Add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Using a large spatula or wooden spoon, toss apple slices to evenly coat with flour, sugar and spices. Let stand 10 minutes.

Pour apples into a prepared 9-inch pie crust. Dot evenly with butter pieces. Cover with top crust and seal edges well. Cut vents in top crust. Rub crust with a little milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. If your oven has any hot spots, rotate the pie halfway through cooking time to reduce uneven browning of the crust.  Cool before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers. 

Comments