Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

"I wish diabetes would just go die in a hole."

This is my son Jared, or Joj as I like to call him. He is 13 years old. He loves to design, make, and fix all kinds of things. He will literally spend hours making boomerangs, wooden fingerboards, and airplanes, just to name a few. He loves wrestling, hunting with his Dad and fishing. He is hilariously funny, and he does it all while living with with Type 1 (Juvenile) diabetes. He was sick for a day last week, and any kind of sickness and diabetes do not mix. Any little virus, including a cold virus, has the potential to send him to the hospital. (We've been very blessed because in the 9 years we've lived with this disease, that has never happened). So needless to say, getting sick with diabetes just stinks. When Joj was sick last week, I went to check on him and asked him how we was doing. He replied, "Okay." And then in a very matter-of-fact tone of voice, he added, "I wish diabetes would just go die in a hole." And I laughed, because even though it isn't funny it IS funny. I hope that makes sense. And Joj, I wish diabetes would just go die in a hole, too.


Comments