Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

So far, so good

Well, so far in my Food Nanny experiment, I have made Chicken Shawarma, Traditional Beef Pot Roast, Fired Up Macaroni & Cheese, and Navajo Tacos.

First up: Chicken Shawarma. Pieces of chicken breast are cooked in a mixture of olive oil, curry powder and cumin and then served in a pita with hummus, a yummy sauce made with greek yogurt, and lettuce, tomato and cucumber. It was quite tasty and everyone liked the flavor of the chicken a lot. The only thing I would do differently is use plain hummus. I already had some sun dried tomato hummus on hand so I used that rather than buy more. It was okay, but didn't go as well with the chicken as I think plain hummus would.

Next up: Traditional Beef Pot Roast. This is pretty self-explanatory. Coat a 3-4 pound chuck roast with a mixture of flour, garlic powder, salt & pepper and then brown it in olive oil. To the pot add quartered onion, chunks of sweet potato, quartered red potatoes, and carrots. I used a bag of baby carrots instead of peeling and cutting regular carrots. Pour in a cup of beef broth and roast at 275 degrees for 5 hours, or 3 hours at 325. It was delicious, the roast was tender, and the vegetables tasted great! I made gravy from the pan drippings, and my only complaint is that it only made a cup of gravy. Next time, I will add more beef broth to the pan to get more gravy. I cooked an acorn squash to go along with our meal, so I felt pretty good about the health factor with all the vegetables.


Fired Up Macaroni & Cheese! Yummy. I have a good macaroni and cheese recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, and was tempted to substitute it, but decided to try the new one. Food Nanny's recipe has a topping of buttered bread crumbs and it really added something to the dish. My boys said it's their favorite macaroni and cheese now. That's a ringing endorsement, lemme tell you!


Tonight we enjoyed the Navajo Tacos. I made the fry bread from Rhodes Texas rolls and it couldn't have been easier. Just heat your favorite chili and set out grated cheese, sliced olives, chopped tomato, sour cream, salsa and lettuce to top them with. Everyone was happy, so this is another winner. It's a plus in the health department because the family is eating beans!

Comments