Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies!


Over the weekend I told a friend I would help her out with an open house she was having by making some cookies. I decided quickly that I wanted to do something different....something fun...something especially yummy. AND, I was craving chocolate that day: All. Day. Long.

I came up with these: Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies! (I think the name demands an exclamation point. Doesn't "triple chocolate" anything demand an exclamation point?!)

The results were fantastic...and the family complained that the bulk of them were to share. Oh well...I suppose I'll have to make them again. ;)

Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter-flavor Crisco (I like the sticks for ease)
2 T. softened butter
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 2/3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. dutch-process cocoa
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3 c. quick oats
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350. Beat Crisco, butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. (This step takes time--give it a good 5 minutes!). Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Mix flour, cocoa, soda and salt together and add to Crisco mixture, mixing well. Stir in oats, and then chips. Form into tablespoon-sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Set the timer for 11 minutes. With 5 minutes left, take a fork and flatten the cookie balls to about 1/2 inch flat. Complete baking time. Remove from the oven and cool one minute before removing to a wire rack. Makes about 4 dozen.

**I found that baking the cookies half way before flattening them kept them together. Flattening before baking often led to crumbled cookies.


Comments