Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Crocheting {and knitting too} is good for your health!


A few days ago, I suddenly decided that I was sick to death of my computer. Can you tell by my absence the last couple of days? I was just feeling stressed and having more tension headaches because of it. I just knew that I needed to reprise my crochet habit and give myself something better to do. The only problem? My hooks were M.I.A--not an uncommon occurrence with kids at home. :/

A trip to Walmart was in order, for new hooks and some more yarn. Then I dug back into my rather weak crochet skills, determined to master them once and for all.

Something miraculous happened. I felt soo much better! I felt calm. I felt composed. I felt de-stressed. 




As a fringe benefit, it looks as though I will amass quite a collection of cute little wash/dishcloths. {Which means sooner or later I'll have to try something new!} The blue dishcloth is all done in a double crochet stitch, and the other is done in a half double. Both were made with Peaches & Creme yarn and a size J hook. And I'm feeling proud of myself because I finally crocheted something with straight edges!

I've been thinking about why crocheting is helping me so much. My dad knits and he says pretty much the same thing--it's calming and enjoyable. So I pulled out my trusty Google research skills and looked it up. Turns out, studies have been done documenting the health benefits of knitting and crochet--both mental and physical. If you're interested, watch this cool video. If you're not a knitter or crocheter, it'll show you some pretty good reasons why you should be. And if you are a knitter or crocheter, then you probably already knew this!

For more information, visit the Craft Yarn Council website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything to say?