Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Pizza Dough Variation #1: Buttery Rolls

Last week I posted my pizza dough recipe. I really should have called it my basic dough recipe, because I use it for a lot more than just pizza. So I've decided to share the variations on it.

Once again, here's the basic recipe:

3 T. sugar
3 T. oil (for pizza I use olive. For rolls, canola or melted butter)
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 T. yeast
4-5 cups all purpose flour

I let my bread machine do the work of mixing, kneading and the first rise. It's just too easy not to!

For the rolls pictured above, take the risen dough and plop it onto your counter--it's a good idea to either spray the counter or flour it first. Cut the dough in half. At this point, it's more workable if you let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Roll each portion of dough into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick. Spread softened butter over the entire surface from edge to edge. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough in half, cutting perpendicular to the long sides. Then cut the other way into six long rectangles--you should have 12 long rectangles at this point. Roll the rectangles up, starting with a short edge, and seal the edges. Repeat with the other portion of dough to make 24 rolls. Place rolls on a greased baking sheet. Let them rise for 15 minutes, and then bake in a preheat 375 degree oven approximately 15 minutes, or until golden brown.


Comments