Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

BYou Magazine {Win a year's subscription for your tween daughter!}

BYOU Magazine FebMar13_Cover

BYou Magazine is aimed at 'tween girls, ages 8-14. They contacted me and asked if they could send me a free copy to review. Since I happen to have three (yes, three!) girls in that age bracket, I said yes.

I was sent a copy of the December/January 2013 issue to review, and I also had my three girls look at it and tell me what they thought. The younger two liked that Disney's Olivia Holt is on the cover.

My 13-year-old Sarah said "It's okay.." but that's her standard answer unless she's totally WILD about something. :)  And my other two girls read it cover-to-cover, particularly 11-year-old Mia. I think they enjoyed it. I had already looked through it first and didn't have to worry about what was in it. There's stuff about gratitude, being your best self, and "girl power!" There was also an article about overcoming fears.

The magazine includes puzzles and games, such as a Sudoku puzzle, brain teasers and riddles. There was also a blurb about inspiring women, and that issue's honor went to Oprah Winfrey. Finally, there was a two-page spot on Winter Craft ideas.

All-in-all, this magazine promotes healthy self-esteem in girls. There are certainly worse messages out there for them to read/hear/see. Case-in-point: I went with Mia to the school maturation program yesterday. They had a short video showing how a model with no makeup is completely done up, and then her face is manipulated via COMPUTER to make her eyes look bigger, her chin look smaller, etc. I said to Mia, "See how that isn't real?" It was a good example of how much of today's media makes girls feel not good enough, though what they are seeing & comparing themselves to isn't even reality. BYou magazine is working against this message that "you're not good enough," and that's definitely something worthwhile.

**Want to win a year's subscription to BYou Magazine? {This is a $17.97 value provided by Heartlight Girls Publications}. 

All you need to do is leave a comment telling me something you do to help your girl(s) develop self esteem. 

For bonus entries, "like" BYou on Facebook here,  or follow BYou on Twitter here, or "like" If I Had Anything to Say by clicking the FB button in the left sidebar. Leave a separate comment for each bonus entry telling me you did it.

Winners will generated randomly and announced here on this blog one week from today, March 20th, 2013.

Comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!