Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Pinterest {mostly} success: Baked eggs


I'm sure a lot of you have seen what I've seen on Pinterest--and that is a how-to on baking instead of hard-boiling your eggs. It took me awhile, but I finally tested it out over the weekend. (Here is a tutorial).

It was {mostly} a success.

Here's what I learned:

1. Eggs don't lay across the top of the muffin tin holes like in the pics I've seen. But they do fit nicely inside, so what does that matter? It doesn't.

2. Baking at 325 for 30 minutes was only long enough for medium to large sized eggs. We get our own eggs from our backyard flock, so they are not all the same size. They range from medium to jumbo, with most being large or extra large now that our flock is a year old. I had a few extra large and two jumbo eggs in that tin, and those eggs were not cooked all the way at 30 minutes, but the smaller ones were perfect-o!

3. I did notice a difference in the texture of the eggs, and there was no gray ring around the yolk in any of them. They were not at all rubbery or tough.

4. A few (maybe 3) of the eggs cracked during the process, but none of them spilled out any white like they do if they crack in boiling water. I'm thinking this could be avoided by putting the eggs in a cold oven instead of a preheated one? Anyone tried it? Please comment.

5. This was a very easy method of getting hard-cooked eggs. I recommend it. Just up the cooking time by probably 2 or 3 minutes if you are using x-large eggs, more if you happen to have jumbo eggs.

Comments