Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Apple Pie Crescents


Do you happen to love fall's favorite fruit--the one and only apple? We do. We basically have to, since we have a Golden Delicious and two Red Delicious apple trees in our backyard. This year, they produced so many that we had to thin the crop so they wouldn't be the size of walnuts.

Needless to say, I'm ready for some apple cookin'! I came up with this idea because I didn't want to make a pie, but I wanted pie. I know, it makes perfect sense. (This idea may exist somewhere out there in internet land already--I don't claim to be original). So why not wrap apple pie filling in crescent dough?

As shown in the pics above, it was pretty easy to do. The most time-consuming part is peeling, coring and chopping the apples.

Apple Pie Crescents 
~maybe not an original idea, but my own recipe

2 tubes of crescent roll dough
5 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 T. lemon juice
1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Combine chopped apples with lemon juice. Stir in flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss until apples are well-coated. If desired, let apple mixture sit for 15 minutes to juice up. Unroll crescents into individual triangles. Place a spoonful of apple mixture onto wide end of crescents; roll up. It will seem overflowing--but the apples will shrink when cooked so that is what you want. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 14-15 minutes, or until crescents are golden brown. 

Icing:
Combine 3 T. melted butter, 1/4 t. vanilla and 1/2-1 cup powdered sugar until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over hot crescents. 

 I had about one and a half cups of apple filling left over. Tomorrow I'll show you what I did with it. It made a yummy breakfast!

Comments