Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Social Media Fast: What I Learned

Image from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 

This past October 6th, President Nelson asked women of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to take a 10 day fast from social media. Specifically, this is what he asked:

"Participate in a 10-day fast from social media and from any other negative or impure media. President Nelson encouraged women to notice how the fast affects their priorities and then to record and act on spiritual impressions they receive."

Honestly, as soon as the words left his lips, I picked up my phone, found the Instagram icon, and deleted it from my phone. {Facebook was already not on my phone}. And you know what? It felt so good! 

I don't say this to applaud myself for doing it so quickly. I say this as a follow-up to June 2018 when President Nelson asked the youth to take a 7 day social media fast. I had recently been released from the Young Women's organization and I still felt pretty connected. Plus, I still have two teenage daughters at home and I decided to do it with them. So the next day I started. I deleted Instagram from my phone, as well as Facebook. And you know what? It was eye-opening!  

I had no idea the number of times I picked up my phone and my thumb would go mindlessly to the Instagram icon, which was one of those I kept front-and-center. And I also had no idea the amount of time spent just scrolling. Yes, I use some social media to keep up with my kids and grandkids and extended family and friends....and I use some social media for work-related stuff too. But I learned something very important. I could use it much less. And in fact, I was much happier and more productive! By the end of the 7 day fast, things were definitely different. I put Instagram back on my phone, but not front-and-center. I added it to the back of the apps and I left it there. Facebook stayed off. Accessing it by computer is plenty for me now. 

Fast forward to this 10 day social media fast. At first I thought to myself, "Why 10 days and not just 7?" But I realized something pretty quick. If the youth can do 7 {and I already had} then why shouldn't their mothers/leaders be able to do a little more? 

So that was that. I kept at it and I really enjoyed it, too! My fast ended on October 17th. And I was in no hurry to get back on Instagram. In fact, I waited a couple of days before putting it back on my phone. I literally took a quick look at what I might have missed {not much, really!} and deleted it again. Yesterday I logged in again for about 10 minutes, liked my daughter's post with my grandkids in it, and really couldn't get off fast enough. It's still not on my phone, and I'm dragging my feet about putting it back. But that's the thing. Do I really have to?

I have a private and public account, and the public account is connected to this blog. So I don't know yet if I'm going to completely delete both accounts, but it's pretty telltale that Instagram no longer holds much appeal, other than keeping up with my grandkids! 

Did you take the 10 day social media fast? What did you think? 


Comments